Saturday, February 8, 2014

Starting a Third Route of Virtual Travel by way of Music and History

Interstate 95 Shield
Hello again my friends and welcome back to Old Highway Notes. First off, I would like to make a big announcement that if you are an iTunes user you can now link to available downloads in the iTunes store if you would like to build your own list at home. Here at Old Highway Notes, I am always trying to improve the experience for you, my guest. If you will recall, in my last several posts I proposed starting a new Route and asking for directions. I was given three suggestions to consider. The nominees were:
Interstate 10 Map
Interstate 10
  • Interstate 10:
An excellent suggestion, Interstate 10 runs is the Southernmost West/East Interstate Highway. Passing through  California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida goes through many ares of rich musical history and diversity, Not the least of which would be when it passes through New Orleans. This is first runner up and may well be the next route I start, someday.
Interstate 40
Interstate 40
  • Interstate 40:
Another great suggestion. Running through California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina there is a lot of musical lore in those ares. As it turns out the western portion of I-40 overlaps much of Route 66, so we will be going there anyway. I do want to spend some time in Tennessee though, so maybe someday we will be taking another look at this highway.
Interstate 95
Interstate 95
  • Interstate 95:
Running South to North along the eastern seaboard, I-95 covers  Florida, Georgia, The Carolinas, the Mid-Atlantic Region, New York, New England. Definitely fertile ground historically and musically.
  • And the winner is...Interstate 95:
All three choices would make for excellent virtual journeys. In the end I let Lady Luck make the call. I rolled a six sided die with 2 sides of the die representing each of the suggestions. The winner was Interstate 95. That kind of works out well since it has a theme song of sorts. I give you, "The I-95 Asshole Song". It sounds a  lot like Jimmy Buffett, but it's not. August Campbell wrote this novelty number and released it Flat Baroque Records. It is the start of our I-95 playlist.










That does it for this weeks Old Highway Notes. A bit of a short one, but we will back next week continuing our exploration of Chicago on Route 66. In two weeks we will resume crossing the border from Tijuana Mexico to old Highway 101. And in three short weeks we will return to Interstate 95 for some background on the highway. Thanks for stopping by and let me know what you think in the comments.  

Don't Miss Out On an Old Highway Note. Subscribe Now! It is free and new Notes will be emailed to you when they are posted. Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
And Now A Word From Our Sponsor...

If you like what you have read here I'd like to ask you a favor. If you purchase any item on Amazon after you link to them in the Amazon banner below, I will get a little something from them. It doesn't cost you any extra and I cannot see what you have purchased.
 With your help, I can keep the show on the road for you.


You Can Give me a Karma Donation Via PayPal

Keep Traveling!
To read more Old Highway Notes, choose an off ramp and click on the highway sign:
 photo 600px-US_66mid_zpsd2d7e6f4.png
 photo 750px-US_101mid_zps4ac85a99.png
https://oldhighwaynotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Interstate%2095
https://oldhighwaynotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Pan-American%20Highway
https://oldhighwaynotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Trans-Canada%20Highway
https://oldhighwaynotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Lincoln%20Highway
Vista Points
Be social, Get more info, View our YouTube playlist and more
 photo facebook-32x32_zpse0ba4164.png photo twitter-32x32_zpsffd21f20.png photo youtube-32x32_zps7aee6775.png photo reddit-32x32_zps785a898c.png

No comments :

Post a Comment